LEVEL OF DIFFICULTY - 6 TOTAL COST – £7.25 SERVES – 4
Danish Meatballs with Cream Potato and Roasted Vegetables
As I have mentioned in the About page, I am a bit of a tool when thrown into a kitchen generally and would have been crazy to attempt this on my own!
As a nice change from cooking for other people I had an evening off and my Danish friend Mie cooked some traditional Danish food for me and some other dinner guests.
This dish is widely eaten as a regular evening meal throughout Denmark. The meatballs are different from the ones we are used to and kind of reminded me of mini burgers!
It was a great experience to take a backseat and play the role of assistant chef for a change.
Here are the ingredients for the meatballs:
500g mixture of beef and pork mince meat
1/2 pint milk
100g pint flour
1 tbsp salt
1 tbsp pepper
1 onion chopped
1 tbsp oil
For the cream potatoes and the roasted vegetables:
1 1/2 kilo potatoes
1 clove garlic
Salt and pepper
1-2 pint double cream mixed with milk
Half an onion
First it is best to start with the cream potato and the roasted vegetables as these take the longest to cook:
- Slice the potatoes into thin slices and layer onto 2 baking dishes.
- Chop the onion and garlic and add to the baking dish of potatoes which will be the cream potatoes, then pour over the cream-milk mixture.
- Add the salt and pepper and mix well
- Chop up the carrots and add to the other baking dish, then sprinkle over the oil and season with salt and pepper and mix well.
- Place both baking trays in the oven, the cream potatoes will need around 50 minutes and the roasted vegetables will need around an hour. These times can vary depending on how thick you cut the vege.
Now make a start on the meatballs:
- First chop up the onion, then mix in a large bowl with all the meat.
- Add the eggs, milk, flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat the oil on a pan and on a low-medium, use a small amount of the mixture to create a tester meatball, cook until well browned and taste to see if you need to add more salt and pepper.
- Then divide the mixture into small balls and cook the meatballs, flattening them down on the pan.
- They will take around 10 minutes and you can tell if they are cooked by squishing them with your spatula, if they are cooked they will feel hard and not soft.
- Remove the Cream potatoes and the roasted vegetables from the oven and mix half way through cooking.
Mie stirring the vegetables!
- When they are cooked, serve with the meatballs and spoon extra cream over as sauce.